Sandymount Gospel Choir Vacancy: Assistant Choir Director
SGC seeks an enthusiastic and dedicated Assistant Choir Director to lead the choir in rehearsals and/or concert performances at the discretion of the Choir Director, Cathy McEvoy.
The Assistant Director is a paid part-time position.
He/She will conduct a minimum of 1 complete rehearsal per month over the course of the rehearsal season, in preparation for performances and will direct full performances or some of the repertoire in performances.
Sandymount, Dublin 4
Dates and Hours
Our usual rehearsal day and time is Tuesday from 7.30pm until 9.30pm with a short social break. The choir typically rehearses September to June each year. The engagement will be for one Tuesday evening every month, occasional other rehearsals as agreed and some live performances also as agreed.
Sandymount Gospel Choir
Sandymount Gospel Choir (SGC) have been together since 2009 and have grown so much since then, both in numbers and musically.
Over the past few years, we have sung at the National Busking Festival in Smithfield, the Dockers and Demons Festival with our neighbours in Ringsend and the Shannonside Winter Music Festival where we sang in the Great Hall of Bunratty Castle. We have also been invited to sing at local churches in the Dublin area including in Sandymount, Ringsend, Irishtown, Donnybrook and Booterstown. Our most recent outing was in early May when we sang at the local Darkness Into Light Walk in aid of Pieta House. It’s an incredibly special atmosphere to sing a song such as “The Storm is Passing Over” as the brave walkers and runners make their way into Sandymount village. We also regularly sing in local nursing homes.
The choir is under the excellent and inspiring direction of Cathy McEvoy who is a full-time musician, arranger and composer. Cathy brings a wide range of experience of performing and teaching to the Sandymount Gospel Choir and the result is an engaging mix of traditional gospel music infused with bluegrass and other musical influences. Sharon Kinsella, Captain of the 11th Company of the Girls Brigade, Sandymount Irishtown, has been involved with our choreography over the past few years.
The Assistant Director leads the choir on appointed Tuesday rehearsals, and works in tandem with the Choir Director in regards to vocal interpretation, score markings and singer preparedness. As Assistant Director, you will be responsible for vocal warm ups and coaching the choir; you will be asked to work as a rehearsal pianist and will be heavily involved with the music direction of the repertoire. You will act as leader/conductor, working closely with any instrumentalists taking part in a given performance or rehearsal. The Assistant Director will:
- Be available to rehearse on Tuesday evenings with (and without) the Choir Director from September through June each year.
- Direct rehearsals, sectionals and performances at the discretion of the Artistic Director; Evaluate/report to Artistic Director areas for additional focus by SGC members at rehearsals and/or performances.
- On rehearsal evenings, oversee set-up of rehearsal space and tear-down at the end of each rehearsal.
- Assist Choir Director in auditioning new members.
- In consultation with the Choir Director and/or the Choir Committee or designate, arrange for an appropriate substitute in the event he/she is absent from a rehearsal.
- Instruct choir members in warm ups before rehearsals and performances.
- Assist the Choir Director in selecting individual choir members to perform solos.
- Provide the necessary guidance and direction during choir rehearsals to assist choir members in achieving the correct tone, pitch, rhythm, tempo, and harmony.
- Create suitable choir formations for rehearsals and performances.
- Be able to work with various instrumentalists to enhance musical pieces as needed.
- Participate in annual concert
- Be available to conduct the choir in other opportunities outside normal rehearsal venues.
- Availability: Lead rehearsals (once per month), attend Tuesday rehearsals, and lead additional rehearsals at the direction of the Choir Director
Ideal Person Specification
- Bachelor’s degree in music, music education, or related field is preferred.
- Proven experience working as a musical director/conductor
- Sound musical knowledge.
- Piano skills sufficient to support choral conducting
- Running vocal and instrumental rehearsals
- Musical notation, arranging or composition using Sibelius or similar
- The ability to interpret various styles of music.
- Training and experience in applied vocal technique
- Ability to work as a member of team
- Good sense of humour
- Well-respected within the local music community
- Strong leadership and listening skills.
- A passion for music.
- Patient, creative, and assertive.
- An energetic, "people person"
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
The Assistant Music Director will be working very closely with the choir. You will need to be diplomatic, patient and sensitive to the various levels of expertise and experience in the choir. You will be good at working as part of a team as well as being self-motivated and proactive.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resumé with 2 references (with contact information), and a cover letter that includes a statement of your strengths and why you are interested in this position, to: email@example.com.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed and selected applicants will be given the opportunity to conduct a rehearsal of SGC.
We would like to fill this position as soon as possible.
If you are interested in learning more about the choir, please check out our social media pages for details - facebook.com/SandymountGospelChoir or twitter.com/sandymountgc or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com