Discovery Gospel Choir welcomes applicants for the role of Musical Director, to commence in early 2023.
Discovery Gospel Choir is an intercultural community of musicians from across the world, whose mission is to bring the message of ‘Discover beauty in everyone’ to Ireland through inspirational and diverse Gospel music and promoting the Christian values of care and inclusivity. Being in community is key to who we are. Our members come from a wide range of cultural and musical backgrounds, and we sing music in many different languages from all over the world.
We are an unincorporated association which is managed on behalf of its members by an elected committee. Within our choir we have a smaller choir that allows us to perform more frequently throughout the year. Our main goals are:
- Sourcing and performing culturally diverse gospel and world music in concerts, festivals, celebrations, church services, community initiatives and corporate events
- Facilitating cross-community dialogue and challenging prejudice and racism through performances and community and school workshops
- Supporting the growth of ethnic and emerging artists
- Developing and supporting community initiatives that support social inclusion
The Musical Director of the choir leads on all musical matters, in collaboration with the committee, while supported and line managed by the chairperson. They will be responsible for maintaining our reputation as Ireland’s leading intercultural choir, and supporting all our members to realise their musical potential. We are seeking a Musical Director who will help us to grow and develop as a community and to reach out and serve our local neighbourhood and beyond through music.
- Direct rehearsals, performances and auditions for both main choir and small choir
- Select and teach music from the choir’s back catalog, as well as sourcing and arranging new music and creating learning tracks
- Develop the musical standard of the choir and its members
- Work closely with the administrator in organising performances and musicians and communicating with choir members
- Bring forward ideas, plan and prepare for the musical programme of our concerts in liaison with the committee
- Work closely with committee on all necessary matters, including attendance at monthly committee meetings to update on all of the above
Skills & Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be a vibrant, enthusiastic musician who loves the idea of being part of an intercultural musical community. At the same time they will have strong leadership, team-working, communication and organisational skills with extensive musical experience and a good knowledge of the voice and vocal health. They will have experience with choral conducting and a passion for world and gospel music. They will be open-minded and flexible, and able to work with diverse types of people, ideally with experience in working with diverse intercultural groups. They will have a good understanding of churches, charities and the music sector and be supportive of the Christian and intercultural ethos of the choir.
Musicians from migrant, refugee and ethnic minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com before 5pm on 4th January 2023.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an audition and interview on Tuesday 10th January and will be assigned a time slot between 7pm and 9.30pm. Auditions will be 25 minutes long and will include warm ups and rehearsing a song with the choir.
Read more about us at: www.discoverygospelchoir.ie